This June, we’re going to get serious about strengthening our core!
Having a strong core is actually the foundation of our overall strength. It allows us to stand up straight, balance our bodies, move well and even breath correctly.
We’re not going to get into nerdy anatomy details here but it’s important to know that your core is more than just your abs—it also includes your pelvic floor, diaphragm and multifidus (a thin muscle running along your spine), as well as your obliques.
Our goal with this challenge is improve your core strength so that you can move better, improve your posture, and have better functionality overall.
Also, this is not one of the 30-day challenges that promises you get flat belly in no time.
You may have very strong core but no visible abs, and as long as your focus is on strength, you shouldn’t worry about it.
Our goal is you make you stronger and healthier.
If you’re just getting started, here are the weekly posts for the June Core Challenge:
What You Need for the June Core Challenge
Here’s everything you need to know about the June Core Strength Challenge:
- The challenge will run for four weeks, from June 4th to June 30th.
- The first week kicks off on Monday, June 4th.
- We’ll post the weekly focus and instructions for the upcoming week on the blog each Monday.
- You can take part in the challenge by posting to our Facebook group or by tagging #12MAcore and @12minuteathlete on social media.
- One hard worker will win a Valeo medicine ball (our fav!) of your choice!
What You Need to Participate
You will need some equipment to do this challenge, although you can always get creative and use whatever’s around you.
Most gyms should have everything you need, and most outdoor fitness parks have the bars that we’re going to use in weeks three and four.
In case you’re thinking about getting some of your own, we’ve linked to some of our favorite products.
- WEEK 1: no equipment needed
- WEEK 2: medicine ball. You can also use a dumbbell or heavy backpack or duffel bag in place of a medicine ball if you don’t have one.
- WEEK 3: parallettes, parallel bars, or a dip bar station
- WEEK 4: pull up bar (this doorway pull up bar works great).
Sign up for the June Core challenge and get the 30-day challenge calendar below: